Choosing and applying for a place at school is one of the most important things we can do for our children. As a Catholic School the Governors are responsible for setting the Admissions Policy and allocating places based on its criteria. The current Admission Policy can be found below. Prospective parents are advised to read the Admissions Policy carefully and visit the school. It is also important to fill in the school’s own Supplementary Information Form and return this to school. The Wakefield Local Authority coordinates the admissions process on behalf of our school. If you would like to visit the school and meet some of the staff to assist your decision making, we welcome visits from prospective parents and pupils, please contact the school office on 01977 701493 to make an appointment.
Admission Arrangements. You can access our current and future admission arrangements here, to find out:
- How we consider applications for every age group
- Our arrangements for selecting the pupils who apply
- Our ‘over-subscription criteria’ (how we offer places if there are more applicants than places)
Please click the link below to download our SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION FORM (SIF) FOR ADMISSION TO A CATHOLIC SCHOOL
September 2024 Admissions to Foundation Stage (Reception Class)
To apply for a full-time place in Foundation Stage for your child starting in September 2024, you must complete the following:
- Make an online application to the local authority. If you live in the Wakefield area, you can visit the Wakefield Council website to find the application page. If you are not a Wakefield resident, please contact the local authority where you live.
- Complete the Supplementary Information Form. Complete the form and return it directly to school. You can download the 2024-25 form here.
- Please take the time to read the St Josephs Catholic Primary School Admissions Policy – 2024-25 and click here for the school boundary map and catchment area.
In Year Admissions / School Transfers
To apply for a school place mid-year or to apply to transfer your child to our school, you must complete the following:
- Contact the School Admissions Team and request an application form. You can contact the Wakefield Admissions Team at email@example.com or 01924 306 052. You will be asked to provide your child’s name, date of birth, current address and details of your child’s current, or previous, school. Further information about completing the application form is available at Changing schools or new to Wakefield.
- Complete the Supplementary Information Form. Complete the form and return it directly to school. You can download the 2022-23 form here.
- Once the school receives an In Year application either via the LA or directly to the school the parents receive a written response to their application within 15 school days, informing them of the outcome of their application, where refused set out the reasons for refusal and information regarding their right of appeal.
Further information regarding schools and the admissions process can be found on the Wakefield Council Website via the link: https://www.wakefield.gov.uk/schools-and-children/schools/admissions
Appeals for in year applications are carried out throughout the year and are carried out by WMDC. Please see Wakefield Council Website via the link. https://www.wakefield.gov.uk/schools-and-children/schools/admissions/appeals
If your preference for a school place cannot be met you have the right of appeal. All appeals are organised by Committee Services. Your appeal should be submitted within 21 days from the receipt of refusal. You will be asked to complete a form, clearly stating your reasons for your appeal.
See ‘Downloads’ for copies of the admission appeals form.
The School Standards and Framework Act 1998 (as amended) requires all Local Authorities (LAs) and Schools who are their own Admission Authorities to make appropriate arrangements for parents to appeal against a decision made by the LA or Governing Body (GB) for refusing a child admission to a preferred school.
The School Admission Appeals Code produced by the Department for Education governs all school admission appeals. This Guide to School Admission Appeals is relevant to Academies, Community and Church of England VC and VA Schools within the Wakefield District.
Further information can be found on the GOV.UK website.
For information about waiting lists please select ‘Primary waiting list information’ or ‘Secondary waiting list information’. You can contact School Admissions on 01924 306052 to find out your waiting list position.